Belfast Telegraph

Conor McGregor to plead guilty to assault charge

Dublin District Court was told that the 31-year-old, of Lady Castle, Straffan, Co Kildare, is to plead guilty to the offence.

McGregor has his picture taken by members of the public as he arrives at Dublin District Court (Brian Lawless/PA)
McGregor has his picture taken by members of the public as he arrives at Dublin District Court (Brian Lawless/PA)

By Cate McCurry and Aoife Moore, PA

UFC fighter Conor McGregor is to enter a guilty plea in court on Friday in connection with an alleged incident at a pub in Dublin.

The mixed martial arts star is facing a single charge of assault.

Dublin District Court was told that the 31-year-old, of Lady Castle, Straffan, Co Kildare, is to plead guilty to the offence.

bpanews_d8bcfacc-e38f-45ae-9ebf-b789eedbbdb0_embedded248014396
McGregor faces a single charge of assault (Brian Lawless/PA)

Defence solicitor Michael Staines confirmed his client was in court and that he intends to plead guilty to the charge.

The court heard that the victim, Desmond Keogh, did not want to give a victim impact statement.

Mr Keogh signed a letter confirming he did not want to make a victim impact statement and his signature has been confirmed by the State.

The victim has accepted an apology from the accused, the court was told.

CCTV footage from the night emerged last August and had been widely shared on social media.

State prosecutor Stephanie Doyle insisted that a video of the incident is shown to the court.

Judge Treasa Kelly adjourned the case until 2pm on Friday

The maximum fine for the offence is £1,500.

PA

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph