Belfast Telegraph

Dublin Airport flights resume after hangar fire

Flight operations have resumed at Dublin Airport after a fire broke out in a hangar.

No one was injured in the blaze which broke out in a maintenance facility at the airport shortly after 7am, forcing the runways to be closed.

Despite initial warnings that flights in and out of Dublin could be delayed by several hours, possibly up to midday, air traffic controllers were preparing to clear backlogs before 9am.

The fire broke out in the roof of hangar three towards the rear of the airport grounds and it was contained in just over an hour.

"The fire was in a hangar in a restricted area of the airport, which is separate from the passenger facilities," the airport said.

Passengers affected by the delays in and out of Dublin were advised to check with airlines to confirm departures and arrivals as operations resumed again at about 8.45am.

Several crews from the airport's own emergency teams and Dublin Fire Brigade were tasked to contain the fire.

Two planes were inside the unit at the time, both short-haul 146 aircraft known as Whisper jets, one of which was believed to have been operated by CityJet.

Fire chiefs reported that the blaze had been contained by about 8.15am.

"All flight operations were suspended because all emergency services have been brought to fight the fire and as a result if something happens on the airfield the fire cover is not available. This is standard procedure," the spokeswoman said.

Thick smoke was seen billowing from the building by hundreds of passengers arriving for morning flights.

Dublin Airport Authority said flights in and out of the capital were suspended for about 90 minutes at one of the busiest times of the day.

"Due to the disruption, there are likely to be knock-on delays to flights this morning and passengers are advised to check with their airline regarding their flight status," the airport said.

"Dublin Airport regrets any inconvenience to passengers as a result of this incident."

The DAA confirmed 10 flights due to land at the airport while the fire was being fought were diverted, with six landing at Shannon and four in Belfast.

Three services were cancelled.

Hangar three is used by Eirtech Aviation, an aircraft maintenance firm, and it is understood planes were in the hangar for paint jobs.

CityJet later confirmed one of its Whisper jets - planes used to fly into airports in built-up areas such as London City - was in the hangar at the time but was not damaged.

All Eirtech staff were evacuated from the hangar for several hours after the fire broke out.

In a statement, Eirtech Aviation said none of its staff were injured in the fire.

"The aircraft in the hangar are not affected but will be fully inspected in due course, as safety is Eirtech Aviation's number one priority," it said.

"We are working closely with the authorities at Dublin airport and apologise to all passengers for the disruption caused as a result of the fire."

Investigations into the cause of the blaze are continuing, with officials from the DAA on site examining the safety of the hangar structure.


From Belfast Telegraph