| 6.1°C Belfast

Dublin woodland sealed off amid search for bank worker who vanished in 2000


An area of woodland in south Dublin has been sealed off

An area of woodland in south Dublin has been sealed off

An area of woodland in south Dublin has been sealed off

Police have begun a fresh search for a bank worker who went missing in 2000.

Gardai, who are investigating the disappearance of Trevor Deely, have sealed off three acres of woodland in Chapelizod in south Dublin, broadcaster RTE reported.

Mr Deely was 22 when he vanished in south Dublin after calling to his office in the then Bank of Ireland Asset Management building on Wilton Terrace in the early hours of December 8 2000 following a work Christmas party.

Detective Inspector Paul Costello said a perimeter had been set up with no public allowed access allowed.

Speaking at the scene, he said: "The reason for this is because we are conducting a search of this area over the coming days, searching for evidence connected to the disappearance of Trevor Deely."

He was last seen in Haddington Road.

CCTV footage, released by police earlier this year from the night he went missing, showed a man in black clothing acting suspiciously at the rear entrance to Mr Deely's office block between 3am and 3.34am, just before Mr Deely arrived.

It showed the man dressed in black step out on to the footpath outside the offices on Wilton Terrace, a short distance from Baggot Street bridge, at 3.34am.

Moments later, Mr Deely could be seen arriving at the rear gates of the bank offices followed by the man, and the two of them have a brief conversation.

Mr Deely then leaves through the same gates carrying an umbrella and stops briefly to fix his jacket.

The last sighting of Mr Deely is on CCTV as he passes a Bank of Ireland ATM machine on Haddington Road at approximately 4.14am.

Detectives said today's search is unrelated to him but renewed their appeal for the man to come forward, according to RTE.

Mr Costello urged any potential witnesses to come forward.

He also said this is "a very very stressful time" for the Deely family and asked for their privacy to be respected in the coming days and weeks.