Belfast Telegraph

Family must wait on news of remains

The family of a man believed to have been murdered by the IRA almost 30 years ago face a month-long wait for confirmation his remains have been found.

Forensic investigators are continuing to dig at isolated bogland in Co Monaghan where partial human remains thought to be that of Charlie Armstrong were uncovered in a shallow grave.

The 57-year-old father-of-five, who vanished on his way to Mass from his home in Crossmaglen, south Armagh in 1981, was one of the so-called Disappeared, who were abducted, murdered and secretly buried by republicans during the Troubles.

It is understood a map passed to the Independent Commission for the Location of Victims' Remains (ICLVR) a year ago was key to Thursday's discovery near Inniskeen, just miles from Mr Armstrong's home across the border in Northern Ireland.

ICLVR commissioner Frank Murray said positively identifying the remains could take up to four weeks.

"We cannot give an authoritative decision on whose remains were discovered but we would be cautiously optimistic and pleased that we have discovered the remains of Charlie Armstrong as we have no indication of anyone else being buried in the area," he said.

The remains are to be taken to the State Pathologist's office in Dublin.

Samples will be taken which will be sent to a laboratory in England where a special DNA database contains the genetic codes of all the families of the Disappeared.

Last July, a map containing fresh information and indicating a previously unsearched area in Co Monaghan was sent anonymously to investigators.

Mr Murray signalled the terrain of the remote bogland and bad weather had hampered the progress of the searches. "It's a very difficult site," he said.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph