Belfast Telegraph

Father of three dies a day after one-punch attack in Dublin's Temple Bar

By Robin Schiller

A man who suffered serious injuries after he was the victim of a one-punch attack in Dublin's Temple Bar has died in hospital.

Gareth O'Connor (27) from Harelawn Avenue in Clondalkin, Co Dublin, passed away at about 5.30pm yesterday, almost 24 hours after being attacked.

The father of three was socialising with a group of friends, including his brother and nephew, when they became involved in a verbal altercation with another group.

The incident happened at about 8.45pm on Thursday evening at Cow's Lane, Temple Bar.

Gardaí investigating the assault are interested in speaking to a number of people who they believe recorded the melee on their mobile phones.

O'Connor's family and friends have appealed online to the people who took these recordings to come forward.

A Facebook post to this effect has recieved 'likes' from over 22,000 people.

It has emerged that after Mr O'Connor was struck, the 33-year-old man who allegedly punched him was attacked himself and knocked unconscious.

The suspect from the Hartstown area of Dublin was brought to St James's Hospital for treatment to severe facial injuries which may include fractures.

However, after being treated in the hospital, he was arrested at 4.15am and was last night being held in Irishtown Garda Station. He is well known to gardaí for previous incidents.

Another two men, aged 35 and 27, who are suspected of assaulting Mr O'Connor's attacker, were also arrested.

And a fourth man from Killester who is an associate of the man who attacked Mr O' Connor was also arrested.

The four men arrested have been released without charge this morning and a file will be prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

A post-mortem examination will be carried out later today by the State Pathologist, Dr. Cassidy, at Dublin City Morgue.

Tributes last night poured in for Mr O'Connor who played soccer for Lucan club Arthur Griffith Park.

A post on the club's Facebook page stated "Terrible news to hear of the passing of one of our players earlier today. RIP Gareth 'Garzy' O'Connor. We will all miss you so much".

The club has also postponed its matches this weekend as a mark of respect.

Neighbours last night told the Irish Independent how Mr O'Connor was "well-known and well-liked" in the area.

Irish Independent

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph