Belfast Telegraph

Gas leak probed after Sligo deaths

A middle-aged man found dead with his two children in a suspected accidental gas poisoning spent their last night alive visiting their sick mother in hospital.

Trevor Wallwork, 52, was found dead in an armchair in the living room of the family's isolated bungalow with his children Kimberley, aged 12, and nine-year-old Harry at his feet.

They had been living in the Forget Me Not cottage in Moygara, about one mile from Gurteen, south Co Sligo, for about six years.

The family spent their final hours in Sligo General Hospital where wife and mother Sue is seriously ill with cancer. She has been battling the disease for several years.

Gardai fear that the three may have died after carbon monoxide leaked into the living room from an appliance or boiler. Foul play was ruled out after initial examinations.

Vicky Barnes, Sue's daughter from a previous relationship who lives in Tobercurry, raised the alarm after calling at the home on Sunday night.

Christmas decorations including a tree with lights were on display in the home.

Gardai are investigating claims that there was a strong odour in the house linked to leaking gas when the three bodies were discovered. Two dogs were also found dead.

Inspector Colm Nevin of Ballymote Garda Station said detectives were treating the deaths as a tragic accident.

Mr Wallwork is believed to have worked as a bricklayer in Coventry, England, before moving his family to the Sligo area but he has not worked full time in the Gurteen area while caring for his sick wife and looking after the children.

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph