| 7.2°C Belfast

Government: No change to vaccination rollout plan

A newspaper suggested that under-30s could be vaccinated next.

Close

A view of the Citywest Covid-19 Vaccination Centre in Dublin (Brian Lawless/PA)

A view of the Citywest Covid-19 Vaccination Centre in Dublin (Brian Lawless/PA)

A view of the Citywest Covid-19 Vaccination Centre in Dublin (Brian Lawless/PA)

The State’s vaccination priority list has not changed, the Government has said.

It comes after the Irish Times reported that the Health Minister had instructed his department to review the possibility of vaccinating the under-30s once those over 60 are vaccinated, in a bid to halt the spread of Covid-19.

The newspaper reported that Stephen Donnelly had asked his department “to assess the case for vaccinating younger cohorts earlier, on the basis of reducing overall transmission as quickly as possible”.

The Department of Health has been asked for comment.

Close

Minister for Health, Stephen Donnelly (Niall Carson/PA Wire)

Minister for Health, Stephen Donnelly (Niall Carson/PA Wire)

PA

Minister for Health, Stephen Donnelly (Niall Carson/PA Wire)

Following the article, a spokesman for the Government said: “There is no change to the official Government policy on the vaccine priority list to focus on people aged 18-30.”

The head of the HSE said the health service was focusing on its current plan and vaccinating older and medically vulnerable cohorts.

Daily Headlines & Evening Telegraph Newsletter

Receive today's headlines directly to your inbox every morning and evening, with our free daily newsletter.

This field is required

“From next Monday we’ll start administering the vaccine to the 65 to 69-year-olds,” Paul Reid told RTE News.

“From this morning we have over 66,000 registered on the online registration system.

“Some of those will have been given appointments this weekend for next week.”

Mr Reid also said almost 1.2 million doses of the vaccine had been administered as of Saturday, with 22% of the eligible population having had a first dose.

“The real measures of sickness, hospitalisations, ICU & mortality all radically reduced,” he said.

“Next week we commence those aged 65-69.”

Saturday saw four more deaths linked to Covid-19 in Ireland confirmed by the Department of Health.

All of the deaths reported occurred in April.

An additional 420 cases of the virus were also recorded.

The five-day moving average of cases now stands at 386.

On Saturday morning, there were 183 people with Covid-19 in hospital, 50 of whom were in ICU.

There were seven additional hospital admissions in the past 24 hours.


Top Videos



Privacy