Belfast Telegraph

Hawe inquest: 'I think Alan did something terrible' - mum of Clodagh says she 'knew something was wrong'

The mother of a woman who was killed alongside her three sons has said she "knew something was wrong" and suspected her son-in-law of "doing something terrible" when she arrived at the family's home.

An inquest was underway in Cavan town on Monday into the deaths of Clodagh Hawe and her three children last year.

On August 29 last, school vice principal Alan Hawe (40) killed his wife Clodagh (39) and then their three children Liam (13), Niall (11) and Ryan (6) in their family home in the small townland of Castlerahan, Co Cavan.

He then pinned a note to the back door warning whoever called not to go in, but to call gardaí, and went back inside and took his own life.

A statement from Clodagh's mother Mary Coll was read out as the inquest began.

In her statement Mrs Coll said on that day she had tried to ring and text Alan and Clodagh when Clodagh failed to arrive at her home as expected.

She drove to Castlerahan, near Ballyjamesduff, Cavan where the family lived.

She said there were cars in the driveway of the house and the curtains were closed.

Initially Ms Coll said she thought there may have been a carbon monoxide leak but she then discovered the message left on the back door.

"I knew something was wrong. I went next door and said to them, 'I think Alan did something terrible'," her statement read.

Meanwhile, Garda Alan Ratcliffe gave evidence at this morning's hearing and recalled entering the family home and discovering the remains of the young family.

Clodagh was found in the sitting room, while her sons Niall and Liam were found in the bedroom they shared. Ryan was found in his own bedroom.

The garda also found the body of Alan Hawe in another part of the house.

Gda Ratcliffe told the inquest that a number of weapons were found in the house, including a knife and a small axe.

In the master bedroom he saw jewellery and a jewellery box laid out on the bed.

Detective Sergent John Grant of the garda technical bureau also gave evidence at the inquest.


From Belfast Telegraph