Irish dad who lost his two children in road smash finally succumbs to injuries
An Irish father who lost his two children in a horrific UK car crash last summer has died after a brave 10-month battle for life.
Con Twomey (39) died in Cork University Hospital after failing to recover from multiple injuries sustained in a car crash while on holiday with his wife, child and unborn baby in Devon last July.
Con, a talented hurler from Meelin in north Cork, was transferred by air ambulance back to Ireland from a Devon hospital last year but had remained on a life support machine after he sustained severe head and chest injuries.
He died early yesterday with his family by his bedside.
His wife Elber (37) is now the only survivor of the horrific two-car collision.
The couple's son Oisin, who was 16 months old, died shortly after the collision on July 6 outside Torquay in Cornwall.
Elber's unborn child, Elber Marie, could not be saved despite emergency surgery in Derriford Hospital outside Plymouth.
She was due to have been born last December.
Elber, a respected teacher in north Cork, suffered severe back and pelvic injuries in the crash and it was several weeks before she could be informed of the scale of the tragedy.
Con worked in the construction industry in his native Meelin outside Newmarket while his wife taught in a local school.
They had only recently moved into a new house in the area.
Oisin and Elber Marie died when the Volkswagen Golf driven by their parents was involved in a head-on collision outside Torquay where the family were on a two-week family holiday.
Con had decided on a UK holiday as safer than a sun holiday given than his wife was five months pregnant at the time.
Polish taxi driver Marek Wojciechowski (20) who apparently veered directly into the path of the Twomey's car, also died after being rushed to hospital by air ambulance.
Mr Wojciechowski lived in Torquay with his wife Agnieska and two young daughters.
Concern for his welfare had mounted on July 6 after he apparently left a suicide note which was discovered by a friend.
It was indicated that the young man suffered from depression and may also have been homesick.
Ms Wojciechowski responded to comments about the collision via social networking websites.
She pleaded with people not to judge her husband – and said that she was now praying daily for the Twomey family.
"My husband drove into those people's car, that's true. But you should know why it happened before you judge him," she said.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) is investigating whether any police officers were in pursuit of the Polish cab driver at the time of the incident.
Devon police, who had a police officer witness the collision on Hamelin Way outside Torquay, denied that Mr Wojciechowski's Vauxhall Vectra car was being pursued at the time.
The IPCC confirmed that Devon police were looking for the Pole that day as "a high-risk missing person".
Belfast Telegraph Digital