Klopp donates £4,400 to fan badly injured in attack outside Anfield
Sean Cox, 53, suffered a severe traumatic brain injury when he was assaulted.
Liverpool FC manager Jurgen Klopp has made a 5,000 euro (£4,400) donation to a supporter who was critically injured in an attack outside Anfield.
Sean Cox, 53, suffered a severe traumatic brain injury when he was assaulted ahead of the Champions League semi-final between Liverpool and Roma on April 24.
The father-of-three, from Dunboyne, Co Meath, Ireland, is receiving treatment in the National Rehabilitation Centre in Dun Laoghaire and friends have set up a fundraising page to help provide the long-term care and support he is expected to need.
A donation of 5,000 euro was made by Reds manager Klopp on Friday afternoon.
He left the message: “You’ll Never Walk Alone Best Wishes, Jurgen Klopp.”
The Gofundme page, set up by Mr Cox’s friends, has raised 50,000 euro (£44,400) of a 2m euro (£1.78m) goal.
A message on the website said: “Over the past number of months Sean has been taking small but important steps on a road to recovery.
“His journey will be a long and difficult one and the focus will continue on ensuring the best possible care to maximise the potential in Sean’s recovery.
“Sean has recently commenced a program of rehabilitation in Dun Laoghaire and following this will continue to require ongoing and intensive long term care and support.
“The reality is that the provision of this long term care and support for Sean will necessitate significant funding over many years.”
Last week, Roma fan Filippo Lombardi, 21, was cleared of being part of a joint attack on Mr Cox.
During the trial at Preston Crown Court, Mr Cox’s brother Martin told the court his brother could not speak or sit up unaided following the attack.
The court heard another man had been arrested in Rome in connection with the attack and was awaiting extradition.