Belfast Telegraph

Man (20s) dies after saving brother in workplace accident at mushroom plant

By Catherine Devine

A man in his 20s has died after saving his brother's life in a workplace accident in Co Monaghan.

Gary Askin (20s) died at a mushroom growing house in Emyvale, where he was working alongside his brother Stephen and a third worker shortly after 8pm on Wednesday.

Sinn Fein councillor Brian McKenna said that Stephen became trapped in an overhead industrial bin and his brother Gary tried to save him.

"It's very sad. Stephen became trapped in the bin and Gary rang straight away for an ambulance. He managed to get his brother Stephen out but then Gary became trapped.

"Stephen was already injured from the toxic fumes and wasn't able to help Gary. The ambulance arrived after anything could be done to help Gary. It's very tragic. Gary died after saving his brother's life."

Councillor McKenna said that he wasn't sure what the bin was used for, but believed it contained toxic fumes.

"Stephen will be fine. Another foreign national worker was there too and he is also ok.

"It's an awful tragedy. Gary was very well known and he was a lovely man. He had been working in the mushroom plant since he left school. It's so tragic."

St Macartan's College, where both Gary and Stephen attended school, paid tribute to Gary and sent their condolences to the Askin family.

"Gary was a very quiet, well mannered and an extremely co-operative student. He made a genuine effort to get on with both students and teachers alike. It is a very tragic accident."

Separate investigations have been launched into the incident by the gardaí and the Health and Safety Authority.

Irish Independent

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph