Belfast Telegraph

Man held over Real IRA gun salute

A man has been arrested over the Real IRA show of strength at the funeral of one of its key figures.

The suspect, who is aged in his 30s, was detained by officers investigating the paramilitary colour party opening fire over Alan Ryan's Tricolour-draped coffin outside his north Dublin home.

The 32-year-old gang boss, who had links to extortion rackets in the capital, was murdered on September 3 in Clongriffin.

Two men have been charged with withholding information in relation to the gun attack.

The latest arrest was made on Tuesday night as part of Operation Ambience targeting dissident republicans. The man is being questioned at Raheny Garda Station under section 30 of the Offences against the State Act 1939, which allows detentions in relation to gun offences and terrorism.

A Garda spokeswoman said the arrest was part of the investigation into the possession and discharge of firearms at Grange Abbey Drive, Donaghmede, on September 8 and the activities of dissident republicans.

Hundreds of dissident republican supporters attended Ryan's funeral in the Grange Abbey Drive area of north Dublin. Black flags were hung from lampposts for several days and scores of men and women in white shirts and black trousers and ties escorted Ryan's coffin after a volley of shots was fired over it by masked men at the house.

Mourners attempted to shield the gunmen from onlooking gardai and cameras as they changed out of combat gear and scarves in a van at the church.

Justice Minister Alan Shatter denounced the public displays of paramilitary support in the Donaghmede area.

Within a week 16 people - 15 men and one woman - were arrested and three imitation guns seized in a series of dawn raids in Dublin, Kildare and Meath. Ryan's younger brother Vincent Ryan and two others - 33-year-old Nathan Kinsella and 23-year-old Darragh Evans - were later charged with IRA membership at Dublin's Special Criminal Court.


From Belfast Telegraph