Belfast Telegraph

Man killed in gangland-style attack

A man in his 20s has been shot dead in a gangland-style attack in a busy residential area.

The father of two was targeted after he got into his car and attempted to drive off near St Patrick's College and the Cat and Cage pub in the Drumcondra part of north Dublin at about 11.30am.

Gardai said he died at the wheel.

Two gunmen wearing balaclavas carried out the killing and fled on foot through the Grace Park Road area and towards Tolka Park after a car they were in crashed a short distance from the shooting scene and was burnt out.

The dead man was from Dublin but had moved into the Drumcondra area.

It is understood he was hit a number of times by the gunmen while he was in the driver seat of a Volkswagen Passat.

Gardai said the victim left his house a few minutes before the shooting and died behind the wheel of the car after being confronted by the waiting attackers.

The broad daylight shooting happened on Church Avenue near the back of All Hallows College towards the junction with Ormond Road and the busy Grace Park Road, and only a short walk from the front gates of St Pat's teacher training college.

Former taoiseach Bertie Ahern grew up in the area and lives locally and visited the scene as investigations commenced into what is being classed as a gangland-style attack.

Gardai are investigating whether the masked attackers rammed their victim's car before opening fire at point blank range.

One of the gunmen was said to have been wearing a grey jacket and the other a dark jacket.

It is the second gun murder in the capital this year after 64-year-old Edward Nugent was murdered outside his home in the Walkinstown area of Dublin in mid-February.

Paul McAuliffe, a councillor with Fianna Fail, said the shooting threatened the safety of the entire local community.

"People have been left in complete shock by the shamelessness of this daylight shooting," he said.

"Make no mistake - this was an attack that put the safety of the Drumcondra community, its residents, students and local construction workers at risk.

"While it appears that it was a targeted gang-style killing, we have heard of far too many incidents where innocent bystanders have been caught in the crossfire of such brutal attacks."

The gunmen's burnt out car was removed by gardai several hours after the shooting while a van was also suspected of catching fire in the blaze.

There were also unconfirmed reports a second man was treated following the shooting at the scene.

Church Avenue between Grace Park Road and the main Drumcondra Road Upper was sealed off for several hours as forensic investigations were carried out and the streets were closed to everyone except residents.

Door-to-door inquiries were also ongoing in the neighbourhood in the hours after the killing.


From Belfast Telegraph