Belfast Telegraph

Mother and son die in house fire

Fumes from a smouldering sofa are believed to have killed a young boy and his mother.

Michelle Gilbert and her six-year-old son Jack were found dead in an upstairs bedroom of their home in the Canterbrook estate on the Trim Road, Navan, on Saturday afternoon.

Gardai believe their deaths was a tragic accident but are awaiting the results of a post mortem examination to determine the exact cause of death.

It is understood a small fire broke out and caused a sofa to smoulder, releasing toxic fumes while the 28-year-old mother and her son slept.

Prayers were said for the pair at Mass services in Navan, where the Ms Gilbert's devastated parents Michael and Mary and her siblings live.

Local Fianna Fail councillor, Padraig Fitzsimons, said the whole town was devastated.

"It's just terribly sad for their family," he added.


From Belfast Telegraph