Murder probe launched after fatal shooting in Dublin
The victim was named locally as Hamid Sanambar.
A murder investigation has been launched after a man in his 40s was shot dead in north Dublin.
The man has not been formally identified by gardai, but he has been named locally as Hamid Sanambar.
Gardai suspect that the murder could be connected to the killings of two friends in the north of the capital last week.
Sean Little and Jordan Davis were shot dead within 24 hours of each other.
The latest victim was gunned down in the front garden of the family home of his friend Sean Little in the Kilbarron Avenue area of Coolock on Tuesday.
Gardai said they believed that three men wearing balaclavas were involved in the attack, which happened at around 3.30pm.
A post-mortem examination was carried out on Wednesday by acting state pathologist Dr Michael Curtis.
They fled the scene in a silver Toyota Avensis, which was found abandoned and on fire in the Castletymon Gardens area of Coolock around 15 minutes after the shooting.
Detective Inspector Michael Mulligan said officers were “cognisant” of the fact that the murder happened outside the house of Sean Little.
“We’re not connecting both at this time but it is something we are considering,” he said.
He added that gardai had “adequate resources” to deal with the killings and have the support of the national units in this investigation.
The detective made an appeal for anyone who has information about the victim’s whereabouts before he was shot to contact them. Officers are also keen to source dashcam footage.
It's worth remembering that successive governments have robbed communities in Coolock and beyond of the resources they need to create really safe communities Mary Lou McDonald, Sinn Fein
“We’re particularly interested a Toyota Avensis car 04-D-71806 and its whereabouts since it was sold on May 20 this year,” Detective Inspector Mulligan said.
“That car was found out burned out in Castletymon Gardens. And if anyone has any idea of where it was parked up we would ask them to come forward and contact us here at Santry or Ballymun Garda station.”
Detective Mulligan confirmed that it was not a stolen car.
Sinn Fein leader Mary Lou McDonald said that although a gardai response is warranted, the mostly working class area has been neglected by government.
“It’s worth remembering that successive governments have robbed communities in Coolock and beyond of the resources they need to create really safe communities,” she said.
“So what we need is investment, what we need is a thought-out strategy for the area that involves people who live in the area, and of course people need to do their jobs, the gardai need to do their jobs, and the people who create this terror across the communities need to be taken off the streets.
“It shouldn’t be the case in the city of Dublin or anywhere else that some communities are protected and have a sense of community and others don’t, and the truth is that communities like Coolock and Darndale have been abandoned and have been left behind and I think now should be a moment where the demand is made and the demand is met to ensure those communities and the people who live in them, who are raising their children there, can actually feel safe going about their business.”
Taoiseach Leo Varadkar said he planned to visit the area “as soon as I can find a little bit of time”.
“People who live in the north-east inner city, in Darndale, in Drogheda, in Corduff in my constituency are good people, hard-working people and they need to know and they have a right to feel safe in their homes and in their own community,” Mr Varadkar added.
Sinn Fein’s David Cullinane said that the murders follow on from a spate of other shootings and killings in recent weeks and months.
He told the Dail that people have been left dead as a result of criminal feuds and that communities in Dublin and Drogheda are living in fear.
“I acknowledge the complexity of gang feuds and dealing with gangs and the enormous challenge that it is in tacking gangs but the reality is that this government is not doing enough. The response has been lacklustre,” he said.
“The gardai are operating with one hand tied behind their backs. They are confined by a lack of resources and a lack of personnel.”
Mr Varadkar said: “I want to share our collective revulsion at what happened and to express solidarity with different communities in which these killings happened.”
He said that gardai have been making progress are tackling the threat of organised crime.