Belfast Telegraph

Murder suicide dad exhumed and cremated as his relatives tell of threats

By Cathal McMahon

The family of an Irish father of three who murdered his wife and sons before killing himself has received anonymous threats since the tragedy.

Alan Hawe (40) killed his wife Clodagh (39) and children Liam (14), Niall (11) and Ryan (6) in a murder-suicide at their home in the townland of Castlerahan, near Ballyjamesduff, Co Cavan.

He then left a note on the back door of their home telling whoever called to ring the Garda, and killed himself inside the house.

The family were buried together side by side in the same plot in the small graveyard in the local St Mary's Church after the tragedy last August.

But yesterday Alan Hawe's body was exhumed and cremated in Dublin.

Clodagh's sister Jacqueline Connolly and mother Mary Coll requested that Hawe's remains be removed a short time after the funeral last September.

A licence was granted in March to do so.

They had requested that the body be removed ahead of her 40th birthday on Easter Sunday, but this did not happen.

Meanwhile, Alan Hawe's family has revealed they have been the subject of anonymous threats since the tragedy.

The Co Kilkenny family also insisted that they played no part in the decision about where he was to be buried after their deaths, and claim they exhumed his body when requested to do so.

The statement, issued by solicitor Michael Lannigan on behalf of the Hawe family, said: "The Hawe family had been requested by the Coll family to make that application. The Hawes agreed to same.

"The Hawe family had not previously been involved in the decision as to where Alan was buried.

"Over the last number of months the parents of Alan Hawe have received threats from persons unknown which have added to the devastating losses that they have suffered of their son, grandchildren and daughter-in-law. They would hope that they, and the Coll family, would now be left in peace."

In their statement, the Hawe family said the timing of the exhumation was decided by professionals, and the family had no involvement in the delay. It went on to say that the Hawe family now wished to be "left in peace".

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph