Belfast Telegraph

Murder trial hears boy believed Ana Kriegel (14) caused injuries to friend

Ana Kriegel’s parents Geraldine and Patrick leaving court
Ana Kriegel’s parents Geraldine and Patrick leaving court

By Eimear Cotter

A boy told a detective he believed that injuries which his co-accused claimed he had suffered in an assault by two older teens had been inflicted on him by schoolgirl Ana Kriegel, a trial in Dublin has heard.

The court heard previously that 14-year-old Ana's body was found in a derelict house in Lucan, Co Dublin, days after she went missing in May last year. Two boys are standing trial for her murder.

Detective Garda Marcus Roantree told the Central Criminal Court he had arranged to retrace Boy B's last interactions with Ana.

When Mr Roantree met Boy B on May 17, 2018 Ana's body had just been found.

Mr Roantree said Boy B told him he had heard Ana's body had been found and was nervous because he was one of the last people to be seen with her.

Mr Roantree told the court Boy B told him Boy A and his mother had called at his house on May 15, and this was the first time he'd learned Boy A had been assaulted.

Boy B said Boy A had spoken about it briefly.

Mr Roantree said Boy B told him he believed "Ana did this to him", as Boy A would have had "more marks on his face" if he'd been assaulted by two older teens. Mr Roantree also said he took a voluntary DNA sample from Boy A on May 16, 2018 as well as photographs of the injuries he alleged he received when he was assaulted.

Mr Roantree said Boy A told him that Ana had touched him, and put her hand across his shoulder and chest.

Mr Roantree told prosecutor Brendan Grehan SC he hadn't asked Boy A any questions, and when he said Ana, the garda knew he was referring to Ana Kriegel, who was still missing.

The court also heard Boy A helped gardai generate a computer image of the two older men he alleged assaulted him on the day Ana went missing.

Detective Garda Mairead Crowley said she helped Boy A generate the image, of the two men he said attacked him in the park.

Earlier, Mr Seamus Timmins said he had checked CCTV footage in the park between 4.30pm and 8pm on May 14, 2018 and he did not see any evidence of Boy A's alleged attackers.

He accepted that not all the cameras in the park were working.

In his evidence, Boy A's father said his son was "shaking" and had blood on his lip when he spoke to him at around 6pm.

He said his son was limping, and his hands were scruffy and dusty.

He told him he'd been "hopped" by two older youths in the park.

The pair then drove around the park to see if they could spot anyone matching the descriptions his son had given him, but nobody fitted them.

In her evidence, Boy A's mother said her son had been given permission to go out, and he'd come home around 6pm.

He called her into his bedroom. He looked rattled and shaken, she said.

Her son had a small spot of blood on his T-shirt as well as a small amount on his bottoms.

He looked like "he'd been beaten up", she added, and he said he'd been attacked by two youths in the park.

She later washed her son's clothes, she told the court.

In cross examination, Boy A's mother accepted she couldn't remember exactly when her son had told her he had met Boy B in the park.

Earlier, a doctor who examined Boy A said he had suffered "soft tissue injuries consistent with blunt force trauma". The GP gave evidence that Boy A told him he had been assaulted in a random attack about 5.30pm on May 14.

The GP told the Central Criminal Court he conducted a brief examination, and found bruising and tenderness on the lower part of Boy A's back as well as swelling to his right knee.

The teenager also had pain in his right wrist.

The youths, aged 13 at the time, have pleaded not guilty to the murder of Ana (14) at Glenwood House, Laraghcon, Clonee Road in Lucan on May 14 last year.

Boy A has also denied a charge of aggravated sexual assault.

The trial continues.

Belfast Telegraph

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph