Belfast Telegraph

Pain of dead tot’s family as nanny’s bail set at $500k

By Luke Byrne and Greg Harkin

The family of a baby girl allegedly assaulted by an Irish nanny in America has been going through “unimaginable pain”.

Aisling McCarthy Brady (34) has been charged with battering Rehma Sabir (1) at her parents’ Boston home this month, a charge she has vehemently denied.

Ms McCarthy Brady, originally from Lavey in Cavan, was working as a nanny for Rahma's mother Nada Siddiqui (29) and father Sameer Sabir (34).

Post-mortem results will steer prosecutors in their decision whether to press murder charges against Ms McCarthy Brady.

Preliminary results found “bruises to the top of and behind (the child’s) right ear and her buttocks” as well as “multiple” bruises to the head and injuries to her spinal cord.

A statement released on behalf of the child’s family by Middlesex District Attorney’s office in Massachusetts said: “Very few can fully understand the sorrow and pain that they are enduring, and we all need to allow them the appropriate time and support they require to cope with this tragedy.”

The family pleaded for privacy.

The statement added: “The family of this child is going through unimaginable pain and suffering and their wellbeing remains a priority.”

Ms McCarthy Brady was remanded in custody after bail was set at $500,000 (£316,000). She is due to appear in court again on February 22 for a status hearing — or earlier if the charges are upgraded to murder.

It was alleged Brady assaulted Rehma on her first birthday on January 14, resulting in a fatal head injury and broken bones. She died two days later.

A blood-stained pillow, blanket and baby wipes were allegedly found in Rehma's bedroom when it was searched on January 17, according to US court records.

Rehma had numerous older fractures, according to doctors.

Court documents also described how a concerned neighbour heard the girl cry for an hour before it changed to “extreme crying”.

The nanny’s lawyer, Melinda Thompson, said her client had no role in the death.

The nanny went to America in 2002 on a 90-day visa and has been there illegally since.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph