The world of mixed martial arts has been plunged into mourning with the news that Portuguese fighter Joao Carvalho has died from injuries sustained at an event in Dublin.
Carvalho had been fighting for his life at Beaumount Hospital since Saturday night after he suffered a technical knockout loss to Charlie Ward in a welterweight contest at Total Extreme Fighting 1 at the National Stadium.
The fighter's Nóbrega team confirmed the tragic news on their Facebook account, saying that they were 'deeply saddened and dismayed' by the news.
They say that Carvalho fell ill 20 minutes after his fight had concluded, was attended to by on-site medical staff and was rushed to Beaumont.
He underwent a procedure on his brain but the 28-year-old succumbed to his injuries at 9.35pm last night.
The statement added that Carvalho was gaining recognition on both a “national and international level”, having fought with the Nobrega team throughout his career.
In a statement today, TEF CEO Cesar Silva said: “We extend our most sincere condolences to the family of João Carvalho’s and his teammates in Team Nobrega. Our thoughts and prayers are with them. We’d also like to thank all sports fans for their concern and support.
“We will give whatever support we can to Joao’s family. We have been in contact with his family and they have requested that we all understand their need for privacy at this difficult time.”
Charlie Ward is a member of Conor McGregor's Team SBG Ireland and was cornered by coach John Kavanagh for the fight in question.
McGregor, who was present at the event, said in an interview before today's tragic news that the contest could have been stopped earlier.
He told MMA Connect TV: “My teammate Charlie had a good win just there.
“It was a hell of a fight. Your man [Carvalho] took some big shots.
“I thought it could have been stopped maybe earlier.”
Source Irish Independent
Independent News Service