A man has admitted the road rage killing of a British motorist in a moment of madness, a court heard.
Karl Donohoe, 31, apologised after pleading guilty to the manslaughter of construction worker Raymond Bates in Dublin in September 2010.
The victim, a father-of-three from Peterlee, Co Durham, died in hospital four days after being beaten around the head with a hurley stick in a south Dublin suburb.
His killer was due to go on trial for murder at the Central Criminal Court in Dublin when he entered a guilty plea for the lesser charge.
Senior counsel for Donohoe, Brendan Grehan, said his client wanted to apologise to the Bates family - who were in court for the short hearing.
"He said it was a moment of madness on his part and he is sorry for his actions," Mr Grehan added.
Donohoe has been remanded in custody until April 16 for sentencing, which can vary from a fine or a suspended sentence up to life imprisonment in exceptional circumstances.
Mr Bates had been in Ireland working on a gas pipeline at the time of the attack.
The 49-year-old was beaten about the head after a row with another motorist at the junction of Sandymount Road and Tritonville Road on September 26, 2010.
Both Mr Bates and Donohoe drove away from the scene before a witness reported the assault to the Garda.