Belfast Telegraph

Ryanair planes clip wings at Dublin

Two Ryanair planes clipped wings on the ground at Dublin Airport this morning.

No injuries were reported on either of the jets after the coming together on a taxiway but the incident caused delays to some departures, a spokesman for the airport said.

The planes involved were the 7.10am service to Edinburgh and the 7.15am flight to Zadar in Croatia.

Dublin Aiport took to Twitter to warn passengers of potential delays.

"A ground incident is causing delays to some departures this morning. Arrivals are operating normally. Please check with your airline. It appears that two aircraft clipped each other on a taxiway," the airport said.

Passengers on the two flights were taken off the planes.

A spokesman for Ryanair said: "The winglet of one aircraft appears to have scraped the tail fin of the other. Both aircraft were under the instruction of Dublin Airport Air Traffic Control at the time.

"Customers have been bussed back to the terminal and will board replacement aircraft to continue their journeys to Edinburgh and Zadar. Ryanair apologises sincerely to customers for any inconvenience caused."

It is the second similar incident at Dublin Airport involving the same airline in the last six months, where the winglet of one plane has clipped the tail of another while taxiing.

The last incident occurred in October and was investigated by the Irish Aviation Authority.

Aviation chiefs said the latest wing clip incident had been reported to the Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU) of the Department Of Transport for investigation.

"It would be inappropriate to provide any further comment at this time," a spokesman for the IAA said.

The spokesman declined to say if the planes were being instructed by air traffic controllers at the airport when the incident occurred.

Meanwhile, an Aer Lingus flight was forced to turn back to Dublin Airport after reports of fumes in the cockpit.

The airline confirmed the flight to Vienna had suffered technical issues but the landing was not an emergency and emergency services were on the runway to meet the aircraft as part of normal procedures.

Aer Lingus said flight EI 660 departed at 8.30am with 120 passengers on board and landed again at 9.20am.

"A short time later a technical issue arose and the captain made the decision to return to Dublin," a spokesman said.

"As part of normal precautionary procedure, emergency services were on stand-by. The aircraft will undergo inspection. Passengers will be accommodated on an alternative aircraft and resume their journey to Vienna this morning."


From Belfast Telegraph