Simon Coveney and Arlene Foster visit Derry following violence
Police said they welcomed an incident-free Friday night after days of disturbances.
Ireland’s foreign affairs minister and DUP leader Arlene Foster have visited Londonderry following six successive nights of violence in the city.
Tanaiste Simon Coveney met police and residents from the Bogside after the bout of unrest which saw explosive devices hurled at officers and dozens of petrol bombs thrown.
The Police Service of Northern Ireland said they had welcomed an incident-free Friday night in the Bogside and Fountain areas of the city.
Thanks to the lovely Leah and her nieces Evie & Mia for their picture. They gave it to me when I visited the Fountain estate earlier. So proud of the community spirit there. #proudofNI pic.twitter.com/xv9TvCD1JV— Arlene Foster (@DUPleader) July 14, 2018
The visits by political leaders came after police said it was a “miracle” no officers had been injured in the violence.
Mrs Foster visited the unionist Fountain estate where rioters have targeted homes, and writing on Twitter she said she was “so proud of the community spirit”.
On road to #Derry to meet + show solidarity with all political, community and youth leaders working to end rioting and violence. Derry is a great city, making progress, wanting to look forward not backwards @Derry_SDLP @sinnfeinireland @duponline @alliancepartyni @uuponline— Simon Coveney (@simoncoveney) July 14, 2018
Before his arrival, Mr Coveney tweeted: “On road to #Derry to meet + show solidarity with all political, community and youth leaders working to end rioting and violence.
“Derry is a great city, making progress, wanting to look forward not backwards.”
Mr Coveney met with the Unity of Purpose group to discuss how community groups, political parties and the PSNI can “work together positively”.
He also said it was great to meet PSNI officers to thank them for their service “at the end of a difficult week”.
Police investigating disorder in Derry have charged a 22-year-old man with three counts of possessing explosives with intent to endanger life, riotous behaviour, making petrol bombs, possessing petrol bombs in suspicious circumstances and indecent exposure.
A 17-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of possessing petrol bombs in suspicious circumstances, throwing a petrol bomb and riotous behaviour, and another 16-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion of a number of public order offences, police said.
The force said a 16-year-old boy who was arrested on suspicion of attempted murder has been released unconditionally.
Meanwhile, Madden & Finucane solicitors said the circumstances of a 16-year-old boy’s arrest will be the subject of civil proceedings, for unlawful arrest, trespass to the person and a complaint to the Police Ombudsman.
The law firm said the boy was unconditionally released.