Belfast Telegraph

Sisters beaten up and held hostage by men they met on Facebook

By Adam Cullen

Two sisters were savagely beaten up and held hostage by two men they met on Facebook.

Gardaí are attempting to track down the thugs who left Amy (21) and Nicole Rice (19) battered and bruised.

The Tallaght sisters were last night being examined in a Dublin hospital to determine the extent of the injuries they suffered during their horrific ordeal.

They told the Irish Independent they wanted to warn other Facebook users to be extremely cautious about meeting up with people after first communicating with them online.

The sisters agreed to meet with the two men, whom they initially spoke to through Facebook almost three weeks ago.

Amy said the pair seemed nice and they arranged to travel to Newbridge, Co Kildare, for a drink last Thursday night.

They met the two men, aged 25 and 30, at a bus stop and arrived at the apartment in Newbridge town centre shortly after 7.30pm. Soon after, Amy said, one of the men, started "acting weird".

"They started to get aggressive and my sister got up to leave...and one of them pulled her hair, pushed her to the ground and started kicking her in the head."

Amy attempted to intervene to save her younger sister but the other man started to beat her in a frenzied attack.

"They tied us up with rags and put them on our mouths and just kept laughing and laughing as they beat us up," Amy said.

The sisters said the men asked them to ring "someone with money to pay a ransom" which would set them free.

But when the sisters said they didn't have any money in their family, they were beaten further.

"Nicole made a run to the corridor outside and fell on the stairs trying to get away and passed out at the bottom.

"They thought she was dead and started ringing people on the phone and saying they needed to dig holes in the Wicklow mountains as they didn't know what to do with these girls," Amy said.

Amy said the last thing she remembered was her sister's lifeless body lying at the bottom of the stairs before she blacked out.

"I was so scared," said Amy, "I thought we were going to die, I was full sure they were going to kill us."

"They eventually let us go at about 3pm and said if we went to the guards they would kill us and our family."

The sisters, who were covered in blood, ran out of the apartment and flagged down a man who was driving by with two children. He brought them straight to hospital.

The sisters believe they may have been drugged on the night of their ordeal.

The sisters suffered severe head injuries. Amy suffered a suspected fractured jaw and Nicole a broken nose.

Gardai from Newbridge were last night taking statements from both women from their hospital beds.

Irish Independent

Irish Independent


From Belfast Telegraph