Belfast Telegraph

Woman dies in hotel 'gas incident'

A woman has died and her sister is fighting for her life after a suspected gas leak at a seaside hotel in Co Cork.

Several others were rushed to hospital following the incident at the Trident Hotel in Kinsale.

Emergency services were called to the scene at around 2pm when the victim, in her 30s and understood to be from Limerick, was discovered in an upstairs room.

Her sister, who was also staying in the room, is said to be in a critical condition at Cork University Hospital.

Fire and rescue crews, using breathing apparatus, took a number of other people from the hotel who were suffering from breathing difficulties.

It is believed the woman were among a hen party who were staying in Kinsale at the weekend. Around 150 guests are thought to have been staying at the hotel.

A hospital spokeswoman said six people were later released after receiving medical attention.

Gardai are investigating along with the Cork City Fire Brigade and the Health and Safety Authority.

Hotel spokesman Hal McElroy said everybody was devastated and shocked at the incident.

"As there are Garda and Health and Safety Authority investigations under way we are not in a position to comment further on the actual incident, but are co-operating fully with the investigations," he said.


From Belfast Telegraph