Belfast Telegraph

Home News

Two in custody over death of man after row in Legion club

By Deborah McAleese

The son of a man murdered in Newtownabbey has told how his father collapsed in front of his family following an altercation at a nearby club.

Kevin Coiley (45), died in his Longlands Park home on Wednesday night, shortly after leaving the Royal British Legion club where he is understood to have become involved in an argument.

Police last night confirmed they had launched a murder inquiry following Mr Coiley's death.

Two men arrested on suspicion of murder remained in custody last night for police questioning. Mr Coiley's family said they were devastated by his death.

His son, who did not want to be named, said: "We're all shocked, upset and angry. It's coming up to Christmas too. We don't know too much at this time about what happened but my dad came home and then collapsed and we called the ambulance but he died. We can't really talk about it at the minute."

Family members were being cared for by neighbours and friends began calling at the house from early morning to pass on their sympathies.

One neighbour said: "This is dreadful. These children have lost their dad. We've been told it was all down to an argument in the club that got out of hand."

The Royal British Legion at nearby Old Church Road was cordoned off as detectives carried out their investigations.

Mr Coiley's death is the second tragedy to hit the family.

Four years ago, his 15-year-old son, Kevin McLarnon, was killed in a motorbike accident on nearby Mill Road.

A memorial and flowers on fencing on Mill Road marks the scene of his death, only a short walk from where his father is believed to have been fatally injured.

Police are appealing for anyone who was in the Royal British Legion to contact them.

Mayor of Newtownabbey, Nigel Hamilton, said: "I would like to offer my support and let them know that I sympathise with them."

A police spokeswoman said: "Two males arrested on suspicion of murder currently remain in custody.

"A 45-year-old man died following an incident on Old Church Road in the Newtownabbey area on Wednesday night.

"The man had been at the Royal British Legion in Old Church Road.

"He left at around 11pm in the company of two other people. He died a short time later."

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph