Belfast Telegraph

Home News

Two-year-old boy hit by train

A toddler suffered serious head injuries after being struck by a train in Co Down today.

The horror accident happened when the two-year-old boy wandered on to the track at the Seahill halt in Ballyrobert between Holywood and Bangor and was hit by an oncoming train.

Despite desperate attempts to slow the train down the driver, who saw the young child on the track, was unable to avoid ploughing into him.

The accident happened at about 10.45am and involved a train which was travelling from Bangor to Portadown.

The boy was immediately rushed to the Royal Victoria Hospital for Sick Children where medics in the A&E unit worked throughout the afternoon to assess his condition.

It is not known how many people were on board the train at the time of the accident and who may have witnessed the incident.

The area surrounding the halt is built up and is heavily populated with young families. It is not yet known whether the boy ran from a nearby garden or had been at the halt.

Ulster Unionist councillor Diana Peacocke, who lives in Craigavad not far from the Seahill halt, said the close-knit community would be rallying round to offer support.

She said her heart "poured out" to the injured boy's family.

"I was absolutely shocked and distraught for the family to hear about a child who has serious head injuries after wandering on to the track," she said.

"I frequently use the train and have a five-year-old child and am constantly warning him about the threat of a train and the track.

"My heart pours out to the family. I hope he makes a speedy recovery."

Meanwhile in a statement Translink said: "Translink can confirm an incident where a child was struck by a train.

"The incident occurred at 10.44am on the Belfast side of Seahill train station. The train was the 10.30am Bangor to Portadown service. Emergency services were called to the scene.

"We are assisting PSNI with their enquiries at this time.

"Bus substitutions are being put in place."

The PSNI have appealed for witnesses to come forward.

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph