| 6.4°C Belfast

Tyrone woman Nuala Gormley jailed for car explosives returns to court on new charge


Nuala Gormley

Nuala Gormley

The explosives found in the boot of her car in 2013

The explosives found in the boot of her car in 2013

Nuala Gormley

A Co Tyrone woman jailed for three years after being caught with explosives in the boot of her car has appeared in court again.

Nuala Gormley (43) is accused of failing to comply with counter-terrorism notification requirements over an alleged three-month period.

Due to her previous conviction, Gormley, of Muldoon Park in Dromore, was made subject to registration conditions under the 2008 Counter Terrorism Act.

It is alleged she failed to notify police of required information on dates between July 19 and October 24.

A police officer previously told Omagh Magistrates' Court the charge could be connected to the accused.

The nature of the notification failure was not disclosed in court.

A defence lawyer said he required time to consult with Gormley before it could be indicated how she intends to plead.

District Judge Mark McGarrity remanded the defendant on £300 bail to attend court again later this month.

Gormley was handed a three-year jail term in 2014.

A judge at Belfast Crown Court deemed the explosives offences so serious - due to the potential to cause death, injury or damage - that immediate imprisonment was warranted.

However, as Gormley had been remanded in custody since her arrest the previous year, she walked free shortly after sentence was imposed.

She stood trial on a number of charges and was ultimately acquitted of direct possession of the items but convicted of possession for a purpose connected with the commission, preparation or instigation of an act of terrorism.

The court heard that police searched the boot of Gormley's car on August 6, 2013, after she returned to the forecourt of a filling station in Kildress, Co Tyrone, and discovered explosive substances, two improvised remote-control switching units, two aerials and a transmitter key fob. Items were secreted in an oil container then placed in the car boot.

At trial, Judge Gordon Kerr QC accepted Gormley did not exactly know what the items were but held she agreed to transport them and they had potential to cause death, injury or damage.

Described by the defence as vulnerable and suffering from mental health issues and alcoholism, it was contended Gormley had been "used by another or others (and was) easy prey".

Having been ordered to serve 18 months in prison and the rest on licence, her name was placed on the Counter-Terrorism Register for 10 years. It is for an alleged default of this that she is currently before the court.

Belfast Telegraph