Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

17-year sentence for child murderer

A man who murdered his girlfriend's two-year-old daughter has been ordered to serve at least 17-years in prison.

Dean Harris, 20, killed Amina Agboola after becoming frustrated at her soiling herself, prosecutors told his trial at Cambridge Crown Court.

Jurors heard he kicked her so hard that she was thrown six feet across the room at her home in Scott Drive, Yaxley, near Peterborough.

The force of the blow was so severe that it tore her liver in two. Paramedics described finding her lying "like a rag doll".

Harris, who had been in a relationship with the girl's mother for just five months, was left alone with the toddler in November last year despite warnings from social workers that he was dangerous because of a history of domestic violence.

He was found guilty of murder earlier this year and was today jailed for life with a minimum term of 17 years, Cambridgeshire Police said.

Speaking afterwards, Amina's father, Reuben Agboola, said: "I am pleased with the sentence Dean Harris has received today. However the grief feels like it has no end.

"I think about Amina constantly. I still cry every day.

"I go through the motions of living but inside I am somewhere else thinking about my daughter all the time.

"No one understands the pain except those people who are experiencing it. My heart reaches out to every parent on earth who is suffering the loss of a child."

Amina's mother, Sarah R acqueman , was acquitted of causing or allowing the death but admitted two other charges of neglect relating to other children.

She was given a suspended sentence earlier this month.

The trial heard Amina was found to have had a number of other injuries, including an untreated broken wrist.

Detective Inspector Alan Page said: "This was a horrendous case.

"There can be no justification for using violence against any child and Harris will have to deal with the consequences of his actions for the rest of his life.

"While no sentence can ease the pain felt by Amina's family, hopefully they will now be able to start moving on with their lives."


From Belfast Telegraph