Alleged neo-Nazi terrorist posed for baby son’s photo in Ku Klux Klan robe
Claudia Patatas and Adam Thomas also allegedly named their baby after Hitler
An alleged far-right terrorist posed for a photo cradling his new-born baby, wearing the hooded white robes of the Ku Klux Klan (KKK), a court heard.
Adam Thomas, 22, and his partner Claudia Patatas, 38, gave their child the middle name Adolf -which the prosecution has alleged was in honour of the infamous Nazi leader Hitler.
On Wednesday, a court also heard how Patatas had allegedly sent a WhatsApp message reading “all Jews must be put to death”, while Thomas bemoaned the fact he had a “fat p**i” as a work colleague.
Jurors were also shown another image, said to be of Thomas in a Klansmen’s robe and brandishing a machete in front of a Confederate flag.
The flag was shown hanging over a sofa, on which were two scatter cushions each bearing the Swastika.
The couple also allegedly had a poster stuck to their fridge reading “Britain is ours – the rest must go”.
The suggestion is that is Mr Thomas and his child, whose middle name is Adolf Barnaby Jameson QC, prosecuting
The Crown have further claimed the couple were pictured at home with another man, a convicted racist and “vehement Nazi”, who was holding a Swastika flag and performing a Hitler-style salute over their baby.
Thomas and Patatas, both of Waltham Gardens, Banbury, Oxfordshire, are on trial at Birmingham Crown Court accused of being members of the far-right terrorist group National Action, banned in December 2016.
Co-defendant Daniel Bogunovic, 27, of Crown Hills Rise, Leicester, is also in the dock facing the same membership charge.
Thomas is facing a separate charge of having a terrorist document, the Anarchy Cookbook, which contained bomb-making instructions.
Barnaby Jameson QC, prosecuting, showed jurors a series of photographs said to be of Thomas in KKK robes, including one with the child.
He said: “The suggestion is that is Mr Thomas and his child, whose middle name is Adolf.”
Turning to an image of a hooded man with a machete, Mr Jameson added: “There is a strong inference, and you’ll appreciate this when you look inside the Thomas and Patatas’ house, that that was taken inside their home, and that the person in the robes was Thomas.”
It emerged in court that counter-terrorism officers from Prevent had visited the couple’s home in October last year “due to concerns Ms Patatas may be involved in the extreme right wing”.
However, an online chat message allegedly sent by Thomas showed he was unfazed.
He said: “I have my flags up, lol – and f**k social services, they have no basis of claim of anything.”
In a message from work that Thomas is said to have sent to Patatas, bemoaning his colleagues in September 2017, he said: “A fat half bred n****r who is typical of the Birmingham type of mongrel, a fat p**i and a black as hell Rastafarian.
“What I’ve found is that all non-whites are intolerable but the ones who have lived here most of their lives are even worse.
“They have a more thuggery attitude about them as opposed to the sterotypical childish African.”
Mr Jameson took the jury through a series of what he described as “further shots from the Thomas-Patatas family album”, showing each of them with the Swastika flag, and another man, convicted racist Darren Fletcher.
Jurors were earlier told how Patatas allegedly sent a WhatsApp message on February 2017 to Fletcher, reading: “And all Jews must be put to death.”
Fletcher, the jury heard, has already admitted being a member of the banned organisation before the trial.
The 28-year-old, of Kitchen Lane, Wednesfield, Wolverhampton, had a race hate conviction for dressing as a Ku Klux Klansman and hanging a “golliwog” from a noose while on stage at a White Pride event in 2013.
Following the ban, the prosecution alleged National Action tried to “shed one skin for another” in order to evade the law, and that the three defendants were part of a successor organisation called the TripleK Mafia.
The Crown’s case is that the group was still National Action in all but name, and merely went through a “re-branding” exercise to evade scrutiny by the authorities.
All three defendants deny wrong-doing and the trial, set to last four weeks, continues.