| 11.3°C Belfast

Anne to carry on with engagement despite coronavirus outbreak

The Queen’s daughter will be visiting an equestrian centre in Buckingham.

Close

The Princess Royal will be carrying out an engagement as vice patron of the British Horse Society (Andrew Matthews/PA)

The Princess Royal will be carrying out an engagement as vice patron of the British Horse Society (Andrew Matthews/PA)

The Princess Royal will be carrying out an engagement as vice patron of the British Horse Society (Andrew Matthews/PA)

The Princess Royal will be out and about on a royal engagement on Monday despite the coronavirus outbreak.

Anne, who turns 70 in August, is visiting the Addington Equestrian Centre in Buckingham in her role as vice patron of the British Horse Society.

A planned trip to Cheshire by the Queen this week has already been postponed, as has the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall’s spring tour to Bosnia and Herzegovina, Cyprus and Jordan.

Anne
Anne was at the Cheltenham Festival last week (Andrew Matthews/PA)

But an investiture is still due to take place at Buckingham Palace on Wednesday.

The Queen, who will be returning to Buckingham Palace on Monday after her usual weekend break at Windsor Castle, will still, at present, be carrying out audiences.

The British Horse Society said additional measures are in place to protect more than 300 visitors who will be gathering at the Addington Equestrian Centre.

“We’re doing exactly what the Government has advised. We have additional hand sanitisers and we’re encouraging people to wash their hands,” a BHS spokeswoman said.

Anne will be meeting the BHS’s education team, greeting equine coaches including Olympic coach Yogi Breisner, watching a demonstration in the arena and giving a speech.

Commonwealth Day 2020
The Queen at the Commonwealth Service last week (Dominic Lipinski/PA)

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has said that people aged over 70 will be asked in the coming weeks to self-isolate for up to four months in order to protect them from the Covid-19 illness.

This would affect, among the senior royals, the monarch, who is 93, heir to the throne Charles, 71, and the 72-year-old Camilla.

A Buckingham Palace spokesman said: “Events will be reviewed on an ongoing basis, acting on the appropriate advice.”

A number of royal engagements this week have been postponed.

The Earl of Wessex was due to hold a dinner at St James’s Palace in London for The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Foundation on Monday, but this is understood to have been called off.

Edward
Some of the Earl of Wessex’s engagements have been postponed (Andrew Milligan/PA)

An Anglo-Swedish Society reception at Buckingham Palace, also set to be hosted by Edward, on Tuesday has also been postponed.

Alexander Malmaeus, chairman of the society, said: “It was due to a duty of care. The Earl of Wessex and the Anglo-Swedish Society made the decision jointly.”

An Anglo-Netherlands Society centenary celebration on Tuesday, in the presence of the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester at Kensington Palace, has been postponed.

The society said on its website: “We have taken this decision with a heavy heart, but it reflects our collective, precautionary judgement, taking full account of recent developments over the Covid-19 virus, including Government statements.”

PA