Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Bartender bit rapist’s tongue during attack

A woman fought off a man who raped her by biting through her attacker’s tongue as he tried to kiss her, a court has heard.

The victim, a 25-year-old barmaid, fought back when the man forced himself on her outside her house and tried to put his tongue in her mouth.

Her Turkish attacker Metin Sanci (34) will serve a minimum of four-and-a-half years before he can be considered for parole. He was jailed after being convicted yesterday of raping the Belfast woman in Islington, north London, last summer.

He showed no reaction as he heard his fate, but his sister in the public gallery wept.

Sanci fled from the crime scene with blood dripping from the wound, leaving behind crucial DNA on the victim’s face which linked him to the crime.

Police arrived less than a minute after the attack and officers found Sanci with facial injuries just 100 yards away.

The gash in his tongue was so deep he was taken to hospital, Blackfriars Crown Court heard.

The victim had nearly made it through her front door when Sanci grabbed her in the early hours of July 24, 2010.

She broke down as she told the court about her ordeal.

“I got to my front door and as I was putting the key in the door, it caught me by surprise,” she said.

“This person got me down to the ground and then forced himself on me. I had a dress on. He was trying to pull down my knickers and then he got them off.”

She added that she tried throughout the attack to defend herself against Sanci.

“I was screaming so much, he was choking me with his hand around my neck and pushing, so I kept choking,” she said.

“He was kissing me all on my face. That’s when he had his tongue in my mouth. So I bit him.

“Then he started shouting at me like: ‘You f****** b****.’ Then I could taste the blood. It was down my face, all down my neck.”

Sanci, of Stoke Newington, north London, denied rape but was convicted unanimously by a jury yesterday.

Judge Blacksell said: “Even to hardened lawyers I would venture to say the facts of this case were dreadful and moving.”

Belfast Telegraph


From Belfast Telegraph