Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Blinded woman's domestic abuse plea

A woman blinded in a vicious attack by her boyfriend has urged other victims of domestic abuse not to suffer in silence.

Tina Nash, 31, spoke out as Shane Jenkin began a life sentence for the unprovoked assault in which he gouged out her eyes with his fingers.

The powerfully-built 33-year-old also throttled her until she became unconscious and broke her jaw and nose during the sadistic attack at her home in Hayle, Cornwall, in April last year. Efforts to save her sight failed and she was left blind.

Ms Nash, who is the mother of two boys, spoke movingly of how her life had changed irreversibly but said others must not go through what she did.

"I urge anyone out there suffering domestic abuse to contact the police before it is too late," she said in a statement read on her behalf outside Truro Crown Court. "Don't be frightened or embarrassed - there are specially trained officers who can and will help you. If you really feel unable to contact the police, there are charities and support groups such as West Cornwall Women's Aid who will help, advise and support you in doing so."

Ms Nash said she had waited a long time for Jenkin to face justice for what he did to her that night. "I have waited a year and three weeks for this day," she said. "It was a week short of a year before Shane decided to plead guilty to grievous bodily harm with intent, although he and I know that he tried to kill me that night.

"During this year my life has been in limbo as I have not been able to have the treatment and counselling I so desperately needed whilst Shane has had a team of experts, professionals and psychiatrists assessing and ensuring his well-being and that he received the treatment that he required.

"My life changed forever that night and will never be the same but I am now able to move on, start my treatment and rebuild my life. I have a future and want to provide a future for my kids and be a good mum."

Ms Nash also praised the huge public support she had received and thanked Devon and Cornwall Police and the Crown Prosecution Service for their support.

Jenkin, of Sea Lane, Hayle, admitted a charge of grievous bodily harm with intent last month. He denied the more serious charge of attempted murder.


From Belfast Telegraph