Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Body recovered after swimmers caught by tides at Camber Sands

A body has been found in the search for a 19-year-old man who went missing at sea after three men got into difficulty while swimming at a popular beach.

A major search operation was launched after the swimmers got into trouble at Camber Sands, East Sussex, on Sunday afternoon.

Two men were airlifted to hospital after going into cardiac arrest during the incident shortly after midday.

The pair were transferred to William Harvey Hospital in Ashford and were in a serious but stable condition.

The Coastguard confirmed that a body was recovered as it called off its search operation for the missing man, who was from London.

A spokesman said: "After an extensive search of the Camber Sands area and the surrounding sea, UK Coastguard has called off the search for a missing swimmer who was seen struggling in the water earlier today.

"Coastguard rescue teams from Dungeness and Rye, Coastguard rescue helicopters from Lydd and Solent, Rye, Hastings and Littlestone RNLI lifeboats and Pett Level Rescue Boat (an independent inshore boat) beach lifeguards and police all helped with the search.

"A body was recovered from the scene."

Inspector Mark Evans, of Sussex Police, said: "It seems this has been three people who have got into trouble while swimming with the changing tides and coastline."

Emma Watson was on the beach with family members including her three young children, and witnessed the rescue.

The 35-year-old care assistant, from Banstead, Surrey, said she saw people receiving first aid on the beach.

She said: "It was absolutely horrific. The kids are now absolutely traumatised."

She described conditions on the beach as windy. She said: "The tide was coming in rapidly, very quick. The current was very strong, it was very windy."

Police dismissed earlier reports that the men had been stung by jellyfish.

The force tweeted: "To clarify the men got into difficulty in the sea at Camber & were not stung by jellyfish as is being reported in some places."


From Belfast Telegraph