| 5.8°C Belfast

Boy guilty of attack murder bid


Victor King was beaten so badly that a footprint was left on his face

Victor King was beaten so badly that a footprint was left on his face

Victor King was beaten so badly that a footprint was left on his face

A 16-year-old boy who beat a man almost to death, repeatedly kicking and stamping on his head and neck as he lay bleeding on the ground so hard that he left a footprint on his face, has been found guilty of attempted murder.

Victor King, 51, was targeted by Tyler Fielding, who was just 15 at the time, only because he believed the man had queue-jumped and barged into one of three girls the boy was with in a newsagents while she waited to buy sweets.

Medical experts say Mr King, who was so badly beaten he remembers little of the attack, would have died if a jogger had not discovered him lying unconscious in the road, struggling to breathe because of damage caused to his voice box, and called 999.

After the jury returned a guilty verdict following a four-day trial at Truro Crown Court, Judge Christopher Elwen lifted reporting restrictions to allow Fielding, from Redruth, Cornwall, to be named. He will be sentenced next month.

The jury had heard how Fielding was seen walking away from the choking Mr King, whom he did not know, in a "jubilant mood" with the horrified girls following the street attack in the town on May 15 this year.

In a statement after the case ended, Mr King said: "I am disgusted at what has happened to me. I did not deserve it, my life will never be the same again".

Fielding's trial had been told how he and the three girls, one of whom was his 16-year-old girlfriend, had already been drinking and had been into one off-licence on Fore Street in an attempt to buy cider. The boy subjected the owner to a volley of abuse when he refused to serve him.

He had already been caught on CCTV arguing with Mr King, with the jury shown footage of him attacking the older man with a flurry of punches before walking off.

Mr King went after them following that attack and was subjected, the prosecution claim, to the second and most violent attack in Almer Place. The prosecution said he suffered severe injuries before being left choking in the road.

Jonathan Barnes, prosecuting, had told the jury of six men and six women that Fielding stamped on Mr King's face at least four times as he lay on the ground and had seemed "proud of what he had done" when he was seen walking away. Fielding will be sentenced next month.