Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Boy, six, injured in ‘reckless’ shotgun attack on Wolverhampton house

Police said the boy sustained non life-threatening injuries and have opened an investigation into the shooting.

The incident happened in the Eastfield area of Wolverhampton. (Peter Byrne/PA)
The incident happened in the Eastfield area of Wolverhampton. (Peter Byrne/PA)

A six-year-old boy was injured when a group of men opened fire on a house with a shotgun, police said.

The boy is thought to have been inside the house when the shots were fired and he sustained non life-threatening injuries to his back and hand.

The incident happened shortly before 4pm on Friday afternoon at a house on Ashbourne Road in the Eastfield area of Wolverhampton.

West Midlands Police have launched an investigation and increased patrols in the area.

Detective Inspector Rod Rose said: “This was a shocking incident where someone has opened fire with a shotgun in the middle of the day.

“A child has been injured and we need to establish exactly what has happened.

“The motive of this attack is not clear at this stage, but it’s clearly a hugely reckless act and we need to identify those responsible as soon as possible.

“We have extra officers, including armed officers, in the area as we’ve increased patrols to support and reassure the community during this concerning time.

“We’re doing all we can to find the offenders and as part of our investigation, CCTV is being examined and witnesses are being spoken to.

“If anyone was in the area at the time and saw what happened I would urge them to get in touch.”

A local resident, who asked not to be named, said three masked men ran across a pedestrianised area at the end of Ashbourne Road into Deans Road and fled on foot.

The witness said: “I heard two loud bangs and then three guys wearing balaclavas came into the street and I saw one of them put a gun into a bag.

“I think two of them were wearing all white. They had what looked like a dark sports bag and they put the gun in that, then ran off.

“They went up the street and I’ve heard that a woman chased them in a car.

“I didn’t realise at the time that anybody had been shot, let alone a six-year-old.

“I didn’t hear any screaming or anything. We’re all just hoping he’s OK.”



From Belfast Telegraph