| 9.9°C Belfast

Bradford man murders wife and two daughters before killing self


Trisha (19) and Nisha (17) Lad were found dead in their Bradford home along with their parents

Trisha (19) and Nisha (17) Lad were found dead in their Bradford home along with their parents


Trisha (19) and Nisha (17) Lad were found dead in their Bradford home along with their parents

Bradford: A father is believed to have murdered his wife and two teenage daughters before killing himself.

The bodies of Jitendra Lad (49), his wife Daksha Lad (44) and their daughters Trisha (19) and Nisha (17) were found at their detached home in Clayton, Bradford.

Police launched a murder investigation but said they were not looking for anyone else in relation the deaths.

They said early indications suggest the bodies may have been in the house "for some time" but have given no details of the circumstances in which they were found.

Tributes were paid to the "lovely" family.

Both girls had attended Thornton Grammar School in the city and Trisha was in the second year of a biochemistry degree at Leeds University. Jessica Garside, a friend of Trisha, said: "She was so lovely. She always had a bright smile on her face."

Melissa Taylor, president of the Faculty of Biological Sciences Society at the university, said on Twitter: "Heartbreaking to hear about the death of Trisha Lad, such a lovely, well-liked person. Rest in Peace."

Mr and Mrs Lad both worked as clerical officers at Bradford council, where colleagues were said to be "very upset".

David Green, leader of the local authority, said: "Local people are shocked and saddened by the news of this terrible event and our sympathy goes out to the wider family, friends and neighbours of this family."

Officers were called to the house in Blackberry Way at 8.31pm on Monday night after they were contacted by a neighbour who was concerned that the family had not been seen recently. Detective Superintendent Simon Atkinson said: "This is clearly a significant incident and our investigation will be thorough as we piece together the events that have led to the deaths of a local family.

"We are now undertaking forensic inquiries to establish how these people have died.

"We are clearly keeping an open mind but from what we know at the moment we are not looking for anybody else.

"It is an extremely distressing time for the family and friends. We are trying to get as many answers as to what has happened in the property."

The quiet cul-de-sac was cordoned off yesterday but police were letting groups of tearful teenagers up to the house.

5,000 medics needed for Ebola fight

Ethiopia: More than 5,000 additional healthcare workers are needed to fight Ebola in the three most affected countries in West Africa, the president of the World Bank has said.

Jim Yong Kim added that he was worried about where those health workers can be found given the Ebola fear factor.

The World Bank president was speaking in Ethiopia alongside UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and African Union chairwoman Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma.

Mr Ban said the transmission of the virus continues to outpace the international community’s response. He appealed for African Union member states not to impose Ebola-related travel restrictions or close their borders.

“We need to have a steady stream of healthcare workers from Africa coming into the three affected countries. The head of the UN Mission for Ebola Emergency Response, David Nabarro, has told us that we need at least 5,000 health workers from outside the region,” Mr Jim said.

Ms Dlamini-Zuma said African Union states have pledged to send more than 2,000 health workers into West Africa. She did not say when the workers would arrive.

Dad loses second son in Syria war

Brighton: The father of two young British Muslims killed while fighting in Syria has said his grief “cannot be described” as he claimed the Government was “criminalising” young Britons who have travelled to the war-torn country.

Abubaker Deghayes said his 17-year-old son Jaffar was shot in the head by President Bashar al-Assad’s forces near Hellebore on the border with Turkey.

The teenager, who is believed to have died at the weekend, left his home near Brighton earlier this year in a bid to overthrow the Syrian dictator.

His brother Abdullah (18) was killed in Latakia province in April after leaving the UK in January to reportedly take up arms with Jabhat al-Nusra, an al-Qaida-affiliated group.

Yesterday the pair’s brother, Amer (20), who also travelled to Syria, relayed news of the death of Jaffar to their father who lives in Saltdean, East Sussex.

Speaking outside his home last night, Mr Deghayes said he felt “great sadness, sorrow and pain” following the deaths of his two sons.

President gives evidence in trial over claims of talks with Mafia

Rome: Italy’s President has given evidence for three hours behind closed doors in a Mafia trial over purported negotiations between the State and organised crime to stop terror attacks in the 1990s.

The office of President Giorgio Napolitano said the 89-year-old responded to all questions put to him, including those he could have refused to answer. Some questions came from the lawyer of Italy’s most notorious mob boss, Salvatore ‘Toto’ Riina.

Prosecutors were seeking Mr Napolitano’s testimony in connection with the trial of a former government official accused of giving false testimony in the probe over purported State-Mafia negotiations.

Kim Jong Un’s absence ‘due to cyst op on ankle’

South Korea: The country’s spy agency says it has solved the mystery of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s six-week public absence, which set off a frenzy of wild speculation around the world.

The National Intelligence Service told legislators that a foreign doctor operated on Kim in September or October to remove a cyst from his right ankle, according to Park Byeong-seok, an aide for opposition politician Shin Kyung-min.

After last being seen in State media on September 3, Kim reappeared on October 14 hobbling with a cane and looking thinner.

Coal mine collapse traps 18 workers underground

Turkey: A coal mine has collapsed, trapping 18 workers underground as water surged near them.

Governor Murat Koca said the incident occurred at the Has Sekerler mine near the town of Ermenek in Karaman province, 300 miles south of Ankara, close to Turkey’s Mediterranean coast.

He said about 20 other workers had managed to escape or were rescued from the mine.

The miners were trapped after water that had accumulated inside the mine flooded a gallery where they were working, Mr Koca said.

Belfast Telegraph