Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Brecon soldier death: Second man arrested after death of serviceman from Northern Ireland

A second man has been arrested after the death of a soldier in a Welsh town centre.

Pte Matthew Boyd, from the Royal Gibraltar Regiment, was found injured and unconscious on Lion Street in Brecon, Powys, at about 1am on Sunday.

Pte Boyd was originally from Co Antrim and some of his relatives still live in Carrickfergus.

Dyfed-Powys Police said on Monday a 22-year-old man had been detained in connection with the death. A 23-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder on Sunday.

Both men remain in custody.

A police spokesman said: "Detectives investigating the murder of a serving member of the Armed Forces in Brecon confirm that they have arrested a further male, aged 22 years, in connection with this offence.

"The first male, aged 23 years, remains in police custody."

A Ministry of Defence spokesman said on Sunday: "It is with great sadness and regret that the MoD can confirm a soldier from the Royal Gibraltar Regiment died in Brecon in the early hours of this morning.

"Dyfed-Powys Police are currently investigating and it would therefore be inappropriate to comment further on the circumstances. Our thoughts are with his family and friends and the regiment asks that their privacy is respected at this difficult time."

A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesman said: "Today in Brecon a 23-year-old man has been arrested in relation to the death of a man who was a serving member of the armed forces.

"He is being held in custody on suspicion of murder and the investigation is ongoing."

The area in Brecon town centre was cordoned off as police investigated the incident.

Police are appealing for anyone who was in the Lion Street, Bethel Square, Tredegar Street and High Street areas between 12.30am and 1.30am to get in touch.

Kirsty Williams, the Liberal Democrat Assembly Member for Brecon and Radnorshire, described the incident as "shocking".

She tweeted: "Clearly very shocking incident unfolding in Brecon town centre this morning. Will be keeping in touch with local police."


From Belfast Telegraph