British man charged over alleged violent assault near Bondi Beach
The man was arrested at the scene.
A British man who had been in Australia for less than 24 hours has been charged after an alleged violent assault near Sydney’s Bondi Beach.
The 35-year-old, who has not been named, approached another man in the early hours of Saturday and assaulted and threatened him, New South Wales Police said.
Officers said the 59-year-old victim attempted to run away, when the man continued to assault him and stole his mobile phone.
— NSW Police Force (@nswpolice) April 13, 2019
The victim was taken to St Vincent’s Hospital in a serious but stable condition.
A pedestrian alerted police to the incident on Campbell Parade at around 1.30am and the British national was charged with aggravated robbery with wounding and grievous bodily harm.
He was refused bail and is due in court in Parramatta, in the west of Sydney, on Saturday.