A select group of charity representatives have spoken of their delight at being handpicked to be part of Harry and Meghan’s big day.
Two hundred people associated with organisations close to the couple’s hearts have taken up their prime spots outside the West Door of St George’s Chapel, the entrance and exit for the bride and groom.
Being invited in to the grand surroundings of Windsor Castle grounds left some of the guests “gobsmacked”, while others described it as “amazing”.
Charities including Sentebale, Wellchild and the Invictus Games Foundation are among those represented in Horseshoe Cloister, looking towards the flower-lined steps leading up to the Chapel.
Your support enables us turn this mission and vision into reality: pic.twitter.com/Ifvbxfq67n— @Sentebale (@Sentebale) May 16, 2018
Micky Yule, a former staff sergeant in the Royal Engineers, described the day as something from a fairytale.
The 39-year-old from Edinburgh is now involved with the Invictus Games Foundation, founded after the success of the Invictus Games, a Paralympic-style competition for injured servicemen and women, set up by Harry.
He said: “I’ve only ever watched this stuff (royal weddings) on telly. It’s like a fairytale.”
Mr Yule, who said he was “gobsmacked” to receive an invite, praised Harry for “putting injured servicemen and women on the map”.
He added: “We’ve really got a leader in him. We are really grateful to be here.”
His wife Jody, from Southampton, said: “I think it’s going to be really exciting. We didn’t expect to be anywhere near this close.”
Malineo Motsephe said she hoped Harry would hear her performing a traditional celebratory African chant as he emerged from the chapel.
The 70-year-old grandmother travelled from Lesotho for the wedding, having met Harry a number of times through her work with Sentebale, founded by Harry in 2006 in honour of his late mother Diana, Princess of Wales, to help disadvantaged children in the southern African kingdom.
Asked if she hoped Harry would spot her in the crowd, Ms Motsephe laughed and said: “He will hear me.”
She said the couple appear to be well-matched.
“To me they are a very good match of people who are passionate about helping vulnerable children and adults,” she said.
She added: “I think (inviting us) shows how down-to-earth he is. They are. Both of them.”
Invictus Games is coming to Sydney 20-27 October and tickets will go on sale 28 May. Be inspired. Be entertained. Be there. #GameOnDownUnder— InvictusSydney (@InvictusSydney) May 16, 2018
Join the journey at https://t.co/0JVdDVly4G pic.twitter.com/RyeCDPAjFr
Fifteen-year-old Dylan Bleach said he is already thinking of the story he can tell his future children and grandchildren about being part of such a historic occasion.
Dylan and his mother Stacey Rowley, from Orpington in Kent, described Harry as “very kind and caring”, having met him previously through their work with the Wellchild charity.
The teenager, who had cerebral palsy, said of the invite: “I can’t put it into words.
“It’s amazing. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity. I can tell my kids and grandkids that I went to Prince Harry’s wedding.”
Wearing a corgi bow-tie, as a nod to the Queen, Dylan added: “The Prince has finally found his princess.”