Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Ched Evans: How rape case unfolded against ex-Wales international footballer

Footballer Ched Evans with partner Natasha Massey arriving at Cardiff Crown Court
Footballer Ched Evans with partner Natasha Massey arriving at Cardiff Crown Court

International footballer Ched Evans has won a five-year fight to clear his name after he was found not guilty of raping a 19-year-old woman. This is how events in the case unfolded:

:: May 30 2011 - Evans and his friend, footballer Clayton McDonald, have sex with a woman at a Premier Inn, near Rhyl, North Wales.

:: May 31 - Evans, then a Sheffield United striker, and McDonald, who was playing for Port Vale, are both arrested. They are later charged.

:: April 20 2012 - Evans is convicted of raping a 19-year-old woman and sentenced to five years in prison following a trial at Caernarfon Crown Court. Co-accused McDonald is found not guilty.

:: May 30 - Evans, who has been capped 13 times by Wales, is released by Sheffield United at the end of the football season.

:: November 6 - The Court of Appeal refuses him leave to appeal his conviction or reduce the length of his sentence.

:: October 17 2014 - Evans is released from prison after serving half of his sentence.

:: November 11 - Sheffield United faces a public backlash after saying it would let him train with them, an offer it later withdrew. TV presenter and club patron Charlie Webster quits and Olympic champion Jessica Ennis-Hill demands her name be taken off the Bramall Lane stand in protest.

:: January 8 2015 - Oldham Athletic pulls out of a deal to sign Evans following another public backlash.

:: October 5 - Evans's case is referred to the Court of Appeal by the Criminal Case Review Commission on the basis of new information after a 10-month investigation.

:: March 22 2016 - The appeal hearing is held at the High Court in London.

:: April 21 - Evans wins appeal against conviction and is granted unconditional bail. The footballer faces a re-trial at Cardiff Crown Court before Mrs Justice Nicola Davies.

:: May 27 - Evans pleads not guilty to a single charge of rape.

:: June 20 - The footballer signs a one year contract with League One side Chesterfield FC.

:: July 23 - He scores in his first game in four years during a 3-0 pre-season friendly win for his new club against Ilkeston.

:: October 4 - Evans's rape retrial begins at Cardiff Crown Court.

:: October 14 - The footballer is cleared after a two-week retrial. The jury deliberated for three hours.

Belfast Telegraph Digital


From Belfast Telegraph