Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Chemical mixture caused explosion

A mixture of chemicals caused an explosion at a leisure centre which injured three staff, a fire service spokesman has said.

Specialist officers from Humberside Fire Service attended Scunthorpe's Pods Leisure Centre, which is due to open next month, to help tackle the blast, which happened at 10.40am on Saturday.

The three male staff members were treated at the scene for cuts, bruises and the possible effects of breathing in chemicals, and two were taken to hospital.

There was no risk to members of the public and the chemicals were contained within the building.

A fire service spokesman said: "It is believed that a mixture of chemicals caused the explosion in the filtration system located in the plant room. Specialist chemical officers from the fire service were called to establish the type of chemicals involved.

"The incident was contained within the building with no danger to members of the public in the vicinity or surrounding area but staff were evacuated from the building.

"Fire crews in breathing apparatus were able to proceed with caution once it was established that no other persons were involved, and contained the incident, where high concentrations of chlorine were detected in the plant room.

"Once the incident was contained the staff at the leisure centre were advised to contact specialist cleaners to deal with the chemicals.

"Decontamination for the crews was set up but not required and they left the incident with leisure centre staff at 16.32."

It was not clear if the explosion will delay the opening of the £21m centre which boasts an eight lane, 25 metre swimming pool and teaching pool, six court sports hall and gym.

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph