Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Cheryl Cole threats man jailed

A man who threatened to kill singer Cheryl Cole and blow up a football stadium has been jailed for two years.

Alan Linton, 32, also admitted threatening to carry out a terrorist attack on Glasgow Airport and to kill young girls in a primary school.

Judge Lady Smith said a series of threatening letters sent by Linton, from Carluke, Lanarkshire, last year must have been "very alarming and upsetting" for those who received them, as she jailed him at the High Court in Edinburgh.

She told him: "The threats you made were very upsetting and distressing and could not be dismissed out of hand."

She singled out the letter to Celtic Football Club and to the primary school. She said: "In the letter to Celtic, you were threatening to blow it up, perpetrate terrible things that would happen to supporters of Celtic Football Club, referring particularly to their religious persuasion."

Lady Smith also voiced concern over his threat to "launch a terrorist attack" on Glasgow Airport, given that it was targeted by would-be bombers in 2007. The letter to the airport was signed "DOS", which the court had previously been told stands for Disciple of Satan.

The court had heard that a letter to the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre in Glasgow included the threat to kill singer Cole.

Linton had already admitted sending seven threatening letters between the start of April and June 25 last year. He was identified through his fingerprints, which were on the letters, and he admitted sending them when confronted by police.

A report examining the future risk posed by Linton found there was a "high likelihood" that he would send further letters again in the future.

Linton, who has a previous conviction for a sexually aggravated breach of the peace, was already receiving treatment for his mental health condition and would visit Wishaw Hospital when he found himself struggling to cope.

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph