Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Cricketer appears in court charged with rape

Worcestershire CCC all-rounder Alex Hepburn has denied two allegations.

A professional cricketer has appeared in court to deny accusations he raped a woman.

Worcestershire CCC all-rounder Alex Hepburn, 21, entered not guilty pleas to two counts of sexual assault in a hearing at Worcester Crown Court, on Wednesday.

The alleged offences are said to have taken place in Worcester in April, last year.

bpanews_3b1aeaa0-1506-45ee-a152-922df6668c91_embedded234040730
Alex Hepburn court case

Hepburn, wearing a suit and tie, confirmed his name and entered his pleas while standing in the dock flanked by a single security officer.

Setting a trial date for early in 2019, Judge Nicolas Cartwright said the trial would be heard in the city,  unless it could be moved to Hereford, which, the court heard, has no county cricket side of its own.

He said: “Alex Hepburn, you’ve heard the deadline I have said and the trial date is fixed for January 7  2019, here at Worcester, unless you’re told in the meantime by any of the solicitors it’s going to be moved to Hereford.

“If it is at Worcester, I’ll observe a large jury panel is required to make sure the jurors trying the case aren’t familiar with your professional persona.”

The defendant, of Priory Road, Malvern, Worcestershire, left court on unconditional bail.

Hepburn, who is yet to play first class cricket for Worcestershire, has been suspended on full pay by his club since the allegations came to light.

Worcestershire’s director of cricket Steve Rhodes has also since left his role at New Road, after an internal investigation.

His departure followed an inquiry into his conduct with the club announcing it was “dealing with a disciplinary matter”, connected solely to his role at the club.

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.

Popular

From Belfast Telegraph