Defence Secretary apologised for touching female radio host’s knee
The incident involved Julia Hartley-Brewer, who said she does not regard it as “anything other but mildly amusing”.
Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon has apologised for putting his hand on a female journalist’s knee.
The incident involved radio host Julia Hartley-Brewer, who says she does not regard it as “anything but mildly amusing”.
A spokesman for Sir Michael said: “He had apologised when the incident happened 15 years ago and both Julia and he now considered the matter closed.”
EXC: Westminster sleaze scandal reaches the Cabinet - Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon apologises. pic.twitter.com/8OPcj3J5yJ— Harry Cole (@MrHarryCole) October 30, 2017
Commenting after the Sun revealed the Minister involved, Ms Hartley-Brewer tweeted: “This “incident” happened in 2002. No one was remotely upset or distressed by it. My knees remain intact.”
A friend of Sir Michael said: “Julia’s a good friend of Michael’s.
“He overstepped the mark when he put his hand on her knee.
“She made it clear it was unwelcome and he rightly apologised 15 years ago.”
This "incident" happened in 2002. No one was remotely upset or distressed by it. My knees remain intact. I refer you to my earlier statement pic.twitter.com/TWTj0nnsWb— Julia Hartley-Brewer (@JuliaHB1) October 30, 2017
Before Sir Michael was named, Ms Hartley-Brewer tweeted: “I have spoken previously about a Cabinet Minister who repeatedly put his hand on my knee during a party conference dinner.
“I calmly and politely explained to him that if he did it again I would ‘punch him in the face’.
“He withdrew his hand and that was the end of the matter.
“I have had no issues since with the man in question and do not regard the incident as anything but mildly amusing.”
Full medical check-up this morning and, yes, both of my knees are still intact. Get a grip, people.*— Julia Hartley-Brewer (@JuliaHB1) October 31, 2017
*Although not on my knee, obviously. pic.twitter.com/FBZ5eLCa1s
The matter came to light as Parliamentary authorities draw up plans to allow victims of sexual harassment to report incidents “without fear”, with abuse allegations continuing to dominate Westminster.
Commons Speaker John Bercow met with senior parliamentary figures on the House of Commons Commission to plot a way forward as fresh claims of sexually intimidating behaviour emerged.
In the latest of a slew of allegations about MPs’ conduct, the Daily Telegraph reported that an unnamed Minister’s “inappropriate” actions forced two female staff members to move to other jobs.
A spokesman for Mr Bercow, who chaired the Commission meeting, said: “The Commission discussed the recent allegations relating to the harassment of staff, following today’s exchanges in the House of Commons.
“It recognised that the current processes for dealing with this required review and a more thorough understanding of how they are put into practice by political parties.
“The Commission therefore committed to urgent work, in concert with the key stakeholders, to identify a way forward which would command general confidence and enable people to speak up without fear or favour.”
Earlier, Leader of the Commons, Andrea Leadsom, told MPs that ministers would be sacked for inappropriate behaviour, saying: “If people are made to feel uncomfortable, that is not correct.
“In terms of the consequences for the perpetrators, I think I’ve also been perfectly clear that in the case of staff they could forfeit their jobs, in the case of Members of Parliament they could have the whip withdrawn and they could be fired from ministerial office.”