Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Deputy Speaker quits amid sex case

Nigel Evans resigned as Deputy Speaker of the House of Commons after it emerged he will be charged with a series of sex offences against seven men.

Evans, 55, who said he will continue to represent his Ribble Valley constituency in Lancashire, is accused of two counts of indecent assault, five counts of sexual assault and one rape charge.

Shortly after leaving Preston police station, the Tory MP vowed to clear his name in relation to the charges, which date back to 2002. He said: "I have today answered bail following complaints I said were incredulous. Whilst I'm saddened this case has not been closed today, I am certain of two things: firstly that I am innocent; and secondly, that my innocence will be demonstrated."

He continued: "Having informed my fellow deputy speakers Lindsay Hoyle and Dawn Primarolo, my association chairman and my staff, I can confirm I will now resign as Deputy Speaker. However, I will continue to work hard for the people of the Ribble Valley from the back benches where I first started my political career in 1992. I appreciate that this case will create a great deal of media interest, but after today I will not be making any further comment until after the case concludes."

Evans will appear before magistrates in Preston on September 18.

Director of Public Prosecutions Keir Starmer QC, said: "Following an investigation by Lancashire Police, the Crown Prosecution Service has received a file of evidence in the case of Mr Nigel Evans MP which concerns allegations of a sexual nature. After careful consideration, we have concluded that there is sufficient evidence and that it is in the public interest to prosecute Mr Evans. Lancashire Constabulary has therefore been authorised to charge two counts of indecent assault, five counts of sexual assault and one count of rape relating to a total of seven alleged victims."

The indecent assaults are alleged to have been committed between January 1 2002 and January 1 2004; the sexual assaults between January 1 2009 and April 1 2013, and the rape between March 29 2013 and April 1.

Evans, from Pendleton, Lancashire, answered bail having previously been arrested in May and June. He was rearrested and interviewed by detectives throughout the day before being later charged.

The Swansea-born politician had arrived earlier at Preston police station in a silver Jaguar XF driven by his solicitor. He smiled and said: "Thanks for coming" to members of the press who had gathered outside. He dismissed the original allegations against him as "completely false", and said they had been made by two people he had "regarded as friends". In June, after his second arrest, he said: "I continue to refute all allegations."

He has stepped aside from his Speaker duties since his arrest, but has continued to work as an MP.


From Belfast Telegraph