Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Dewani moved after Priory incident

Honeymoon murder accused Shrien Dewani has surrendered himself to police after getting into a "heated discussion" with another patient at the Priory Hospital.

He was transferred to a secure mental health hospital following his behaviour over the weekend, which was said to have been sparked by an "adverse reaction" to his medication.

The British businessman, who is wanted in South Africa over claims that he ordered the killing of his new bride there, was on bail at the Priory in Bristol pending his extradition hearing.

A source close to him said: "He had a reaction to his medication, which meant he was loud and noisy. There was no fight or argument but one female resident got in a heated discussion with him and was taunting him and saying, 'You should go back to South Africa'."

He gave himself up to police on Sunday and appeared at Bristol Magistrates Court on Monday, where a district judge ruled he should be moved to Cygnet Hospital Kewstoke in Somerset.

Dewani, 31, from Westbury-on-Trym in Bristol, is said to be suffering from severe post-traumatic stress syndrome after the shooting of his wife Anni Dewani, 28, in Cape Town last November. His symptoms were said to have dramatically worsened last week after he reacted badly to his anti-depressants, culminating in Saturday night's incident.

His psychiatrist, Dr Paul Dedman, said it was likely he suffered an adverse reaction to the medication, according to friends of Dewani. One said: "In Shrien's mind he's confused as to what happened (before he surrendered himself to police). He's not certain."

Set in 16 acres of landscaped grounds overlooking the Bristol Channel, the Cygnet Hospital offers "a tranquil and therapeutic environment to provide care and treatment for those individuals with complex mental illness". The majority of its beds are in a low secure setting but on site is also an intensive community rehabilitation service for men.

The South African authorities want to extradite him and have made repeated courtroom bids to have him remanded in custody. But at Monday's court hearing it was decided his psychiatric healthcare needs would be best met at the Cygnet Hospital, his brother Preyen Dewani said.

Dewani remains subject to £250,000 bail and strict conditions including a curfew and the requirement that he report daily to a local police station.

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph