Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Dog mess fall girl 'could lose eye'

A toddler who fell in dog mess in a playground could lose the sight in one of her eyes, it has been reported.

Amiee Langdon, who will be two next week, put her hand down as she tumbled over, then wiped her left eye.

She was taken to hospital by her mother Suzanne, 29, from Fallowfield, Manchester, where tests confirmed she had picked up the infection toxocariasis, which is spread by dog dirt.

It resulted in optical lobe cellulosis, which can lead to blindness and even death if not treated within 72 hours.

Amiee, whose eye has been almost closed by the swelling, is being treated with three antibiotics at the Royal Manchester Children's Hospital. If medication does not work, surgeons may have to remove Amiee's eye to stop the infection spreading.

She was playing in a gated children's area of Platt Fields Park, Fallowfield, when the incident happened last week.

Her mother has appealed to "thoughtless" dog owners to clear up after their pets.

Paul Andrews, executive member for neighbourhood services at Manchester City Council, said: "I hope this extremely upsetting incident makes irresponsible dog owners understand the very real consequences of failing to pick up after their dogs.

"We are thinking about this little girl and her family and we hope she makes a speedy recovery."


From Belfast Telegraph