Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Driver held over M25 lorry incident

A lorry driver has been arrested on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving following a lorry overturning on Britain's busiest motorway which left three road workers injured, one of them critically.

The incident resulted in the closure of the same section of the M25 that was shut down following a lorry overturning on Tuesday in which the driver died.

Today's incident was between junction 24 at Potters Bar in Hertfordshire and junction 25 at the junction of the A10 north of Enfield in north London.

Police were called at approximately 9:24am and ambulance and firefighter staff also attended.

One man was taken to a hospital in Cambridgeshire by Hertfordshire Ambulance Service where he remains in a critical condition.

A second man was taken to a central London hospital by London Air Ambulance where he remains in a serious condition. A third man is being treated at a central London hospital for a leg injury. The fourth man received treatment at the scene for minor injuries.

The incident led to the closure of the motorway between junction 23 at South Mimms in Hertfordshire and junction 25. Long tailbacks built up as diversions were put in place. Later, the section between J23 and J24 was open but delays continued into the evening rush-hour.

Police said the road workers were all working on the M25 which is being widened in that area.

The police went on: " Police have arrested a man on suspicion of causing serious injury by dangerous driving following the lorry overturning between junctions 24 and 25 on the M25. He remains in custody at a north London police station."

The Highways Agency said the motorway had now fully reopened . All lanes on the clockwise carriageway were reopened at 5.40pm, and the anti-clockwise carriageway fully reopened about 8pm

A spokesman said: "Following a police investigation at the scene, the vehicle was removed, the area cleared of debris, and the damaged central reservation barrier was repaired.

"Three road workers were injured in the incident. The Highways Agency's thoughts are with those involved, and their family, friends and colleagues.

"Drivers are thanked for their patience during the closure."


From Belfast Telegraph