Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Eddie Kidd's wife jailed for attack

The estranged wife of paralysed former motorbike stunt rider Eddie Kidd has been jailed for five months after she admitted assaulting him.

Samantha Kidd, 44, pleaded guilty to four counts of assault by beating of the 54-year-old wheelchair-bound star days before she was due to face a two-day trial last month.

Brighton Magistrates' Court heard that unemployed Kidd tried to throttle him, slapped him on the the face and chest, kicked him, and swore at him.

Prosecutor Suzanne Soros said that on one occasion Kidd, who was paralysed and brain-damaged when a stunt went wrong in August 1996, was left shaking and "absolutely hysterical" by her actions.

Kidd, of High Street, Seaford, East Sussex, dressed in a floral dress, showed no emotion as district judge William Ashworth sentenced her to five months prison, concurrent on each count, and imposed a restraining order.

Opening the prosecution case, Ms Soros said: "The Crown says this was a course of conduct against a man who is suffering with severe disability."

In one incident, Kidd rained a series of blows on him after she was woken up, according to a witness. The witness said in a statement that Kidd had appeared to have "lost the plot" and had to be forced off him.

Ms Soros said that by his demeanour, Eddie Kidd appeared to be "shaken up" by the incident. She added: "He was completely unable to defend himself from the attack from Sam or take any action to protect his face or head."

Alissa Scott-Beckett, defending, said Kidd had no intention of rekindling a relationship with the former stunt rider. However, she said she would like them to be friends in the future, and that Mr Kidd had sent her text messages asking to meet up, which she had resisted.

After sentence was passed, Ms Scott-Beckett asked for Kidd to be freed on bail pending the outcome of an appeal. But district judge Ashworth said: "I have agonised about this sentence and bail is not appropriate." The judge said Kidd had committed an "abuse of trust and power".


From Belfast Telegraph