Belfast Telegraph

Home News UK

Ex-Met chief to appear at inquiry

Two top Scotland Yard officers who resigned over the phone-hacking scandal will give evidence to the Leveson Inquiry into press standards next week.

Former commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson and assistant commissioner John Yates quit the Metropolitan Police last July after coming under criticism for their links to News of the World (NotW) executives.

The inquiry will begin its second module, looking at relations between police and the press, on Monday with evidence from former deputy prime minister Lord Prescott and ex-Scotland Yard deputy assistant commissioner Brian Paddick.

Earlier this month Lord Prescott and Mr Paddick, who is the Liberal Democrat candidate in this year's London mayoral election, settled a claim against the Met for failing to warn phone-hacking victims at the time of its original investigation into the NotW in 2006.

Deputy Assistant Commissioner Sue Akers, who is leading Scotland Yard's new inquiries into phone hacking, email hacking and corrupt payments to public officials, will appear before the inquiry for a second time on Monday.

On Tuesday, testimony will come from Guardian journalist Nick Davies, who broke the story about the scale of phone hacking, Lib Dem MP Simon Hughes, former Met detective and Crimewatch presenter Jacqui Hames, and Chris Jeffries, who was wrongly arrested over Joanna Yeates's murder.

Serving Met officers Detective Superintendent Philip Williams, who led the original phone hacking investigation, Detective Inspector Mark Maberly, and Detective Chief Superintendent Keith Surtees will give evidence on Wednesday.

Sir Paul and Mr Yates will appear on Thursday, along with fellow ex-senior Met officers deputy assistant commissioner Peter Clarke and assistant commissioner Andy Hayman.

Scotland Yard's original phone hacking inquiry resulted in the jailing of News of the World royal editor Clive Goodman and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire in January 2007 after they admitted intercepting voicemail messages left on royal aides' phones.

Prime Minister David Cameron set up the Leveson Inquiry last July in response to revelations that the NotW hacked murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler's phone after she disappeared in 2002.

Daily News Headlines Newsletter

Today's news headlines, directly to your inbox.


From Belfast Telegraph